If you are thinking about having a coil fitted there are a few things that you will need to do before you can have this procedure done:
- You will firstly need to book an appointment with one of our GPs who can fit coils (the Receptionist will be able to inform you of which doctors can perform the procedure) in order to discuss having the coil fitting procedure, any concerns and to sign a consent form. If you want to have a Copper coil fitted, or re-fitted, please request this to the GP for them to write out a prescription for this.
- If the GP does not take swabs at the time of your appointment, you will need to make an appointment with the Practice Nurse to have these done prior to your coil fitting.
- Once the swab results have been received, you will need to book an appointment in a designated Coil Clinic. These are mainly based at both River Lodge Surgery and are run by a GP and a Practice Nurse or Healthcare Assistant.
- Before your fitting you must ensure:
- If you are having a Copper coil fitted, please ensure you bring the coil with you (the doctor should have issued a prescription to you prior to the fitting;
- You should abstain from sexual intercourse from when you start your period until the fitting, unless you are using another adequate form of contraception, i.e. the Pill (not if you are using condoms or the withdrawal method). If you are having a coil renewal, you must abstain from sexual intercourse 7 days prior to your fitting;
- You should eat breakfast before the fitting
- Take two painkillers 30 minutes before your fitting
- Please bring a sanitary towel with you for after the fitting
If you do not adhere to the guidance above, the GP may not be able to proceed with the fitting on the day.
Pre coil information
After coil information